Thursday, October 13, 2005

Miyazaki

Everyone's all Miyazaki hyped with the release of Howl's Moving Castle, so I'm jumping on the bandwagon too, with a review of his 1986 effort Laputa, Castle in the Sky.

I was just idly watching this movie and was quickly capitivated. It starts off at breakneck pace, with sky pirates, airships and a mysterious floating girl, but what got me hooked were the expansive visuals and landscapes - the cliffs, pits, chimneys and railways of Pazu's strange ever descending industrial revolution-ish town. The fantastic is anchored with references to our own past, Zepplins and WW1ish military hardware, coal mines and radios, making it incredibly fun to wonder and speculate about this fantastic world.

As well, the kid protagonists Pazu and Sheeta are active and adventurous, (and touchingly sweet) the way kids imagine themselves being in make-beleive - brave, clever, fighting nasty adults and going on incredible adventures together. Miyazaki balances adventure and character, danger and humour almost perfectly and mixes them with the awesome and fantastic. If I were to criticise this film, the only thing that comes to mind is SPOILER WARNING the shift Dola's band of pirates undergo, from villains who throw hand grenades into a crowded street to laughable bumpkins. It just feels a bit wrong that they so quickly become sympathetic in light of the stuff they do in the beginning.

15/17

2 comments:

[-o-] said...

I'll admit that of the Miyazaki's that they've been showing on SBS, I've only caught last Wednesday's, that being NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Winds. I have to say, I was thoroughly impressed. At heart, it was a simple cold-war era tale of two superpowers hell-bent on destruction with the peaceful valley of the winds the innocent victim, caught in the crossfire. But it's the metaphors for nuclear war and fallout that he comes up with that really make this movie. It's visually astonishing, and in some places downright disturbing. I loved it, and really feel compelled to stock up on his back-catalogue.

Wojit said...

They've been showing case on SBS? Rats! I've been missing out!

I remember about half a dozen years ago I saw Porco Rosso on SBS. That was frickin' hilarious.