Monday, June 27, 2005

Studied Helplessness and Look How Book-Having-ate I Am, You Fetid Plebians

Erg. Politics and Int'l Relations exam today, which I blundered into somewhat underprepared. There was a small fire, several inhalation related injuries and nearby residents claimed 'The Stench was sickening. I was puking for hours and me dog died!'. The Opposition Leader, Kim Beazley decalered 'This is a clear sign of a government that is out of touch with the people of Australia, and wouldn't know a broken car from the two chickens in the bedclothes'. He was later forced to retract that statement under pressure from Schapelle Corby's legal team.

...And by that I mean: most of the short answer questions were easy, except those on areas I hadn't studied at all. The first essay on Vietnam was a total mess. It was really hard to get into a writing groove, as I was underprepared and freaked out about how underprepared I was, which didn't help much at all. Once I start writing a bad essay it is really hard to stop; crappy paragraphs and ponderous sentences jacknife and twist and tangle into a big verbal train crash, particularly when your heart is racing and the time is going too fast and yet too slow. With that one I pretty much ended up writing too little and too much. I'll have nightmares for weeks, I'm sure of it.

The Iraq War essay was a lot easier to write, though I dunno if it was any good, I think it was good, though again, I had to pull it out of a huge brain crammed with useless information in the dying half of the game to revitalise any chance of my team making it to the finals. Shit. A Sport Metaphor. That's wierd... Anyway, I might try and retrieve some adrenaline-soaked fragments of the essay and put them together a little more considerately for this blog (prioties, people, priorities!). Or I might pass out.

Second half of second-hand bookstore halfprice clearance scam loot got picked up, me by. Got scads of dried paper, should keep me warm for ages. Among all the Tom Clancy and John Grisham and behind the rooms filled exclusively with the Bride Stripped Bare and Angela's Ashes I managed to find Don Quixote, The Critique of Pure Reason, The Beauty Myth (Which Mum thinks is a load of wank, based on her having once met Naomi Wolf, who is apparently a Californian Jewish Princess. I told her that that was horrible slur and typical of the media's anti-princess stereotyping. The Shadow Minister for Princesses Laurie Ferguson said such comments set a worrying precedent. Shortly afterwards he was fired from Schapelle Corby's legal team, amidst public outcry), The Burned Children of America, Invisible Cities and for some lighter reading: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Sideshow: Kissenger, Nixon and the Destruction of Cambodia, The Gulag Archipelago and The Plague. If I get round to it I might post some reviews, who knows, I might even read the books first.

No comments: